Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo

Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo

Angry protesters attacked and torched tents at an Ebola treatment center in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ituri province in an attempt to recover bodies of their relatives who died from the disease, a local official said.

A local official, Luc Malembe reported that the violence erupted at Rwampara Hospital on the outskirts of Ituri’s provincial capital Bunia, after the families of Ebola victims demanded their bodies for burial, disputing reports that the deceased had died from Ebola.

“Crowds gathered outside the hospital, and when they were denied the bodies of their relatives, they set fire to several tents sheltering Ebola patients, prompting police to fire teargas and warning shots,” the official told reporters in Rwampara town.

Malembe called for more community awareness to sensitize the population to the disease in a region already facing significant security challenges.

This violence mirrors the 2020 incidents when several health centers were attacked by armed groups and angry civilians during the 2018 Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo due to mistrust of medical workers.

The disease outbreak was officially declared on May 15 in eastern Congo’s Ituri province.

Since then, Congolese health authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) have reported about 600 suspected cases and 139 probable deaths.

The outbreak has since expanded to North Kivu and now South Kivu. Two imported cases involving Congolese citizens were reported in neighboring Uganda.

Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *