South Korea has estimated that North Korea’s nuclear arsenal could be twice Trump’s estimate.
According to the Seoul defence minister, Pyongyang possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads. The estimation comes after the US President Donald Trump asserted on Wednesday that North Korea has around 57 nukes.
Minister Ahn Gyu-back revealed intelligence generally estimates North Korea’s stockpile to be in the range of 80 to 120 warheads, with the caveat that precise quantification is challenging.
“We usually see it as around 80 to 120, but it is considerably limited to state an exact number,” Ahn told a parliamentary committee.
Ahn later clarified the estimation of numbers by saying that the numbers were calculated through private research organizations. Right now, South Korea’s military could not officially confirm these numbers.
Commenting on Trump’s estimated 57 figure, the defence minister said, “the numbers appear somewhat different.”
Speaking about Seoul’s efforts for military independence, Ahn said the country would continue to rely on the “US nuclear umbrella in line with Seoul’s longstanding non-nuclear policy.”
“We cannot develop nuclear weapons. Nor should we accept the deployment of U.S. tactical nuclear weapons,” Ahn added,
On Wednesday, Trump made remarks regarding his plans to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year. The US president is looking to revive diplomatic talks with Kim.
Earlier this week, Trump scaled back the US annual military drills with South Korea, citing the act as hostile towards North Korea. Pyongyang responded coolly to drill cuts.
Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of the North Korean leader, dismissed the move as a meaningful goodwill gesture, stating the exercises remained provocative despite being scaled back.
Kim Yo Jong also noted she was unaware of any recent direct contacts between Trump and Kim, and she characterized their personal relationship as “excellent.”






